Sunday, February 24, 2013

"Sex Without Love" by Sharon Olds


A very literal use of "Unsuffer Me" by Lucinda Willams
 
Sex Without Love Responses
 
"Meditative Rose" by Salvador Dali
If it isn’t “making love” all the time, then change the name.
If it is possible to “make love” without love,

Then it’s kind of a misnomer, don’t you think?

I’ve never had sex without love.

Because when our hand as skating over each other’s bodies

Like rain drops gliding over a leaf or snow gently floating to kiss the land

We look into each other’s eyes and see a truth that is seldom found anywhere else.

That truth is profound as God.

We may fuck and suck only for one night, and hell, I might not even like you personally tomorrow.

But, there is one thing that is constant.

It may be that memory will serve as the only record, and it might be that it was only for that moment,

But I loved you forever.





"The Hug" by Schiele Egon
 
It’s never without love.

It might only be for one night.

It’s in one night we have a connection.

We are as beautiful as dancers.

We dance together.
 
We find passion together.

What is found is purity.

What happens is profound as snow falling on Jesus’ head.
 
What we know is each other.

I pleasure him.

I know he pleasures me.

I see him as the world cannot.

He sees me as the world cannot.

Really, even if for one night, how can it not be love?


3 comments:

  1. I think it's becoming apparent that I really enjoy your poetry. I really appreciate and your style of writing- very realistic and in your face. I love that you don't apologize for anything you say and you don't dance around issues. You get right to them- and you talk about them.
    I love the messages behind your poem, even in this case where I don't necessarily agree 100%. There have definitely been some, let's say, encounters, in my life that I can honestly say involved absolutely no love and I wish I could forget but I still really enjoyed your poems. I think they're beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your responses to Sex without Love. I admire your ability to be so honest when you write. And I agree, that thought partners may not like each other the next day, you cannot escape the pure love that is there in the moment of the act.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As others have said, I want you to know that I adore your writing. It perfectly captures what most of us are thinking but won't say or write. You are real and show us exactly what you mean by way of humor and candor. I absolutely love your response poems. They dig deep into what sex without love truly is.

    ReplyDelete